Fun For Louis has the life I would love to lead one day. Travels around. Records what he does. Meets new people. Eats new things. And even when he’s having a bad day, he always seems to find the best in any situation. His motto, “Enjoy life. Live the adventure” is one I’m trying to aspire to each day. He films every day of his life and below is a compilation video of his favorite bits from his past year (and one of my favorite videos!).
My very first vlog is up online for the whole world to see and judge me quite harshly on. I’ve never done any type of videos before, so it’s not very good at all. But, I enjoyed making it and trying something different that I can hopefully get better at.
So far this month, I have painted my nails thirty-one times. I haven’t brushed my hair. I ate six pints of Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food. And only cried twenty-two times. Mostly during TV shows, four times during HeyClaire’s video to her mom.
I started off the month by falling out of love and hiding it quite intensely. I didn’t realize it would take me three months and not responding to texts to finally get over someone. But, I stopped answering phone calls and text messages and left things to the last minute before canceling again. It’s still something I’m continuing to work on, but not very well.
June is always lonely for me. I used to love the summer as a kid, but the older I get the more I long for the Fall and new beginnings instead of the excessive heat of summer and my clothes sticking to the backs of my legs. Yet, this month was about rain, and more rain, and the continuous monotonous rain.
But then it became about the starts of projects and songs and books and movies and TV shows and candles and lots and lots of candles and friends. Actual friends. Which is strange for me to not have everyone I want to hang out with spread across the globe, but a small group I can call and go to a movie and dinner with. It became about learning new things and juggling three jobs and slowly trying not to lose my mind in the process.
June, you’ve been about learning to take chances and not be so scared to take the next step. I have been so scared lately. Scared to make the wrong step and ruin my life forever, but JK Rowling didn’t have her life figured out by 23 and I’ll figure it out one day. I hope. Maybe in July.
*went off on a different course whilst speaking, but this was the main idea.
This month’s “Friendly Advice” comes from the lovely Alex, whom I met in London a couple years ago.
Name: Alexandra (Alex) Wong Tuai (2-E)
Where do you rest your head at night? On a pillow I stole from my younger sister. In my bed. In Crown Heights, Brooklyn.
Is that where you’re originally from? Nope, I’m from Seattle, WA.
Best thing about the city you live? Some of the people that are closest to my heart and soul live in the same city right now.
If you’re not originally from the city you currently reside, what is the best thing about your hometown? The best thing about Seattle is the harmony of nature and city.
What’s one thing that tourists do that you wish they didn’t? Stop in the middle of the street/subway/anywhere to take pictures/check their phones.
Best places to eat? This dumpling place hidden away in Brooklyn by my old university. Anywhere that can feed me quickly if I’m hangry.
Where all have you traveled? Hahaha oh jeez. China, France, Spain, Great Britain, Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Morocco, South Africa, Wales, Italy, Croatia, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Thailand, Taiwan, India, Nepal, Turkey, Portugal, South Africa, and I’ll be heading to Australia and New Zealand in the next couple of years.
What is your favorite place that you have traveled? South Africa without a doubt.
List five places you want to travel to: South America, South East Asia, all of the United States I haven’t seen, the Scandinavian countries, the rest of the African continent, the Middle East, Central Asia, and South Asia.
Insert one of your favorite photos you’ve taken on your travels:
Alex Tuai is a recent graduate of Long Island University in New York City, where she studied was a global studies undergrad. She loves to watch countless episodes of Doctor Who and beauty vloggers on YouTube.
Yesterday, I watched Essie Button’s video about 15 of her favorite feelings. It made me giggle and really wonder about things that make me feel good. Sometimes you need to take a step back and think of good things when life is becoming a bit confusing and complicated.
1. When I take my bra off when I get home at the end of the day. This just has to be a universal feeling for women everywhere, right? When I take off that underwire contraption that makes my boobs nice and perky after work, it’s like they are taking a nice long, deep sigh.
2. Peeing after holding it in for a long time. Another universal feeling. I have one story that sticks with me about needing to pee desperately and that is when I got a little bit wasted in London at 19. I got on the tube just slightly needing to go, not too horrible, but as I sat there with the train moving back and forth the urge developed quickly. I was shaking my leg and even thought about just pissing in the corner because of how desperate I was. My stop wasn’t for another 20 minutes and when the doors finally opened, I ran to the grimiest toilets in the station. Best feeling ever releasing that. TMI? I thought so.
3. Completing a task that has taken me forever to do. For the few months, I have been translating a collection of short stories. I’m on the final story and getting to the end is such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
4. Talking to someone and you can tell they are genuinely interested in what you are saying. Sometimes, a lot of the time actually, I feel like I’m talking just to fill empty space and no one is really listening. But, when you are talking to someone and you can tell they are listening and you’re having a real conversation, that’s the best feeling in the world.
5. Popping your back. When you first wake up in the morning, turn over, and your whole back pops. This might possibly be the best feeling. Is that sad?
6. When my cat stretches and falls asleep at some weird angle. I have so much love for that little critter that I should be committed into an institution. She’s just so dang cute that I just want to snuggle up to her at all times.
7. Finally understanding something you’ve been struggling with. Especially math. Gosh, math was the worst thing ever.
8. Plucking that hair that’s just been teasing you for ages. This is totally TMI, but such a great feeling. Have you ever had a hair that just wasn’t on the surface, and you keep trying to pluck it but nothing comes and then finally, you pluck and out comes the hair! HOW SATISFYING IS THAT?!
9. Reading a really good book. Nothing really compares to reading a book that you’ve been wanting to read for a really long time, and it turns out to be wonderful. I was unsure of how I’d feel after reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, but I was pleasantly surprised. Follow me on GoodReads.
10. Finding the perfect pair of black jeans. I’m a sucker for a good pair of black jeans, but for some reason I always have a difficult finding the right pair (if anyone has any suggestions, please leave them in the comments!). My favorite pair of black jeans by UO fade so quickly even after cold washing and turning them inside out in the washing machine, so finding a pair that doesn’t fade fast and fits my body well is a great feeling.
11. An old couple holding hands just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Does any more need to be said?
12. How magical everything feels around Christmas time. It must be the songs, or the snow, or the fact that I can watch Love Actually on repeat without judgment, but Christmas always feels so magical to me. Everyone is in such a great mood and it feels like nothing can go wrong, unless you’re Clark Griswald.
13. When the leaves start changing colors in the fall and you finally get to wear those chelsea boots that have been gathering dust in the back of your closet.
14. Traveling somewhere new. I love airports. I know a lot of people don’t, but I love the feeling of going somewhere new and seeing other people sitting around waiting for their flights. I love airplanes and flying over the clouds and the anticipation of landing in a new place I’ve never been before. That nervous, excited energy that bubbles up is such a wonderful feeling.
15. Rubbing your eyes so much that you can’t stop because for some reason it has become addictive and you have to force yourself to stop rubbing.
Friday night was the Midwest Influencer Network or #MWINetwork VIP Blogger Lounge, and as I was not feeling too well I was going to skip it entirely. Continuous sniffing and a snotty nose is not how I wanted to present myself amongst other bloggers and networking opportunities. However, having major FOMO, I decided to down a couple Advil, cake the concealer over my red nose, and make it to the event.
Since I arrived over an hour after the doors opened, the party was in full swing and I grabbed my goody bag and made my way to the open bar. There were people from all over the Saint Louis area at the event. From paperdolls (gorgeous jewelry), to Meero Mani Nails, and finally to my must-talk-about-I-love-them-so-much brand Throwboy.
Throwboy make unique and internet friendly pillows and “throwbabies” (I use my throwbaby as a keychain.) As an avid fan of YouTube, I have heard of Throwboy before through YouTubers iJustine and PointlessBlog, yet somehow never knew they were made right in my hometown of St. Louis! Not only are the items they sell so very, very cool, the people behind Throwboy are insanely nice and passionate about their work.
I picked up my two emojis: the poop and the hearteyes because who doesn’t love a bit of both?
Check out all their products over on their website and maybe buy one or ten…you can’t have too many emojis in your life.
I’m constantly looking to other people for inspiration in my day to day life. Whether it is for new make-up looks, new recipes, or outfit ideas, my fellow bloggers are the ones that I look to for new things to try out. I have a handful of bloggers/vloggers that I have been absolutely loving lately, and I thought a nice little post to gush about them seemed the most appropriate thing to do on this Saturday afternoon.
First up, is the wonderful Charly Cox from Style the Natives. Charly is one of those girls that you’d love to catch up with at the bar and bitch with about people that have been annoying you lately over many, many cocktails. Her writing style is impeccable with a biting satire that has me laughing and nodding throughout her wonderful anecdotes. She has a fantastic sense of style and is brutally honest in most of her text posts. Please, please check her out. She is awesome.
Anna from Vivianna Does Makeup always has me jealous from her gorgeous hair down to her endless supply of make-up; I’m always scrolling through her many posts for new ideas and tips on make-up. One of my favorite things about her is the fact that she gives her honest opinion about the make-up products she uses. Too many beauty bloggers out there get PR products and “rave” about the products when they actually, kind of…suck. Not only are her posts real, she is a fantastic writer and YouTuber. Her vlogs are something I look forward to weekly and if you’re not already, subscribe subscribe subscribe.
Oh, Olivia from What Olivia Did, what a babe. She is gorgeous, has amazing style, and is a major supporter of women everywhere. If there is one person’s closet that I want to raid (outside of Alexa Chung’s) it would be Olivia. She also has wonderful travel tips and places to see, if you, like me, love going to new places and seeing new things. If you’re currently looking for new outfit ideas or wondering where to stay in New York, check out What Olivia Did.
One of the first bloggers that I ever followed was Carrie from Wish Wish Wish. Her beehive hair tutorial is the only one that has actually worked for me. Like Olivia, she gives me major outfit envy every time I see her HQ res images of her standing in gorgeous outfits in the middle of London streets.
*images taken from the individual blogger’s websites
I haven’t figured out my exact make-up look for Christmas just yet. Usually in the morning, I just pick up the first couple things that I see and whack that shit on my face. However, I think I’m going to actually try to pick out a lip color (obviously red), but the eyes, I still have no idea. My favorite blogger/vlogger that constantly inspires me is Emma Pickles, so it is her YouTube channel that I turn to for some looks. Below is one of my favorite Christmas inspired looks from Emma that I hope to recreate in some fashion for the day of family fighting, eating, and (sadly) no drinking.
As for New Years, my friend Caitlin and I have a tradition which includes Chinese and watching lots and lots of TV to ring in the New Year. It’s a holiday that I’ve never particularly understood the hype around. However, us girls like to dress up when we grab Chinese and I always like to do my make-up in a fun way, so below is another Emma Pickles video I hope to recreate.
As for outfits, I have a bit of an obsession with dresses. For family events, I like to make sure that I can still move around and it won’t get me made fun of tooooo much when I’m around the family. This year, I’m thinking of doing a mid length (for Grandma’s sake) white dress I bought from Target with fleece lined tights, black Steve Madden chunky heels, and my leather Topshop jacket. I want to keep it casual and have the bold lip be the focal point of the day.
On New Years I’m thinking of going pretty, pretty casual. I love this Urban Outfitters “school girl” style dress that I have. The back of it has a nice open slit. The fleece lined tights are going to make a reappearance paired with my ASOS platform shoes and my Topshop maroon coat.
My nails are very minimal with the beautiful Essie “Forever Yummy” and some OPI Katy Perry edition sparkly nail polish on my ring fingers.
What are your plans for the holidays? And what type of outfit/make up looks are you going for? Leave them in the comments!
Two days to go! AHH!