Yesterday, I watched Essie Button’s video about 15 of her favorite feelings. It made me giggle and really wonder about things that make me feel good. Sometimes you need to take a step back and think of good things when life is becoming a bit confusing and complicated.
1. When I take my bra off when I get home at the end of the day. This just has to be a universal feeling for women everywhere, right? When I take off that underwire contraption that makes my boobs nice and perky after work, it’s like they are taking a nice long, deep sigh.
2. Peeing after holding it in for a long time. Another universal feeling. I have one story that sticks with me about needing to pee desperately and that is when I got a little bit wasted in London at 19. I got on the tube just slightly needing to go, not too horrible, but as I sat there with the train moving back and forth the urge developed quickly. I was shaking my leg and even thought about just pissing in the corner because of how desperate I was. My stop wasn’t for another 20 minutes and when the doors finally opened, I ran to the grimiest toilets in the station. Best feeling ever releasing that. TMI? I thought so.
3. Completing a task that has taken me forever to do. For the few months, I have been translating a collection of short stories. I’m on the final story and getting to the end is such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
4. Talking to someone and you can tell they are genuinely interested in what you are saying. Sometimes, a lot of the time actually, I feel like I’m talking just to fill empty space and no one is really listening. But, when you are talking to someone and you can tell they are listening and you’re having a real conversation, that’s the best feeling in the world.
5. Popping your back. When you first wake up in the morning, turn over, and your whole back pops. This might possibly be the best feeling. Is that sad?
6. When my cat stretches and falls asleep at some weird angle. I have so much love for that little critter that I should be committed into an institution. She’s just so dang cute that I just want to snuggle up to her at all times.
7. Finally understanding something you’ve been struggling with. Especially math. Gosh, math was the worst thing ever.
8. Plucking that hair that’s just been teasing you for ages. This is totally TMI, but such a great feeling. Have you ever had a hair that just wasn’t on the surface, and you keep trying to pluck it but nothing comes and then finally, you pluck and out comes the hair! HOW SATISFYING IS THAT?!
9. Reading a really good book. Nothing really compares to reading a book that you’ve been wanting to read for a really long time, and it turns out to be wonderful. I was unsure of how I’d feel after reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, but I was pleasantly surprised. Follow me on GoodReads.
10. Finding the perfect pair of black jeans. I’m a sucker for a good pair of black jeans, but for some reason I always have a difficult finding the right pair (if anyone has any suggestions, please leave them in the comments!). My favorite pair of black jeans by UO fade so quickly even after cold washing and turning them inside out in the washing machine, so finding a pair that doesn’t fade fast and fits my body well is a great feeling.
11. An old couple holding hands just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Does any more need to be said?
12. How magical everything feels around Christmas time. It must be the songs, or the snow, or the fact that I can watch Love Actually on repeat without judgment, but Christmas always feels so magical to me. Everyone is in such a great mood and it feels like nothing can go wrong, unless you’re Clark Griswald.
13. When the leaves start changing colors in the fall and you finally get to wear those chelsea boots that have been gathering dust in the back of your closet.
14. Traveling somewhere new. I love airports. I know a lot of people don’t, but I love the feeling of going somewhere new and seeing other people sitting around waiting for their flights. I love airplanes and flying over the clouds and the anticipation of landing in a new place I’ve never been before. That nervous, excited energy that bubbles up is such a wonderful feeling.
15. Rubbing your eyes so much that you can’t stop because for some reason it has become addictive and you have to force yourself to stop rubbing.